I am a new Christian Science Fiction author and
completed my first novel a month ago. Like most people during a project, one
has a tendency to just start and complete a project without doing proper
planning. Although I believe I did a good job planning, developing and writing my
book, I probably should have begun by asking the question: What is Christian
Science Fiction? Looking back, I just
assumed I would simply write a Biblical fact based story with an important
Christian message I wanted my readers to grasp and throw in some science
fiction techno gadgets, a helping of fictional futuristic societies, and a sprinkling
of Christian heroes and evil adversaries. To my horror, after sending my book
off to be edited, I poked around several websites and blogs to try and
understand how to best publish and market my book and low and behold there it
was embedded in some marketing information; can
your book be classified as Christian Science Fiction? Oh boy, I thought to
myself, now I’ll have to modify my manuscript when I get it back from the
editor to adhere to the definition of what a Christian Science Fiction book is.
I immediately began researching on what exactly
makes a novel Christian Science Fiction. I visited several websites and blogs to get a
definition or at least find a general agreement. After a few hours of research I realized I
probably wasn’t going to have to do something drastic like re-write my book.
Thank the Lord! As a matter of fact, I
discovered the simple approach to writing my book, which I mentioned above, was
generally on the mark. I found
references to things like Speculative Science Fiction, Christian Apocalyptic Fiction, writing Christian
Science Fiction guidelines, and other type classifications, but the definitions
offered on the many websites and blogs I visited were basically the same.
Here is my summation of what I discovered; “Christian Science Fiction is the
utilization of fictional scientific ideas to speculate on things that could occur
surrounding Biblical facts while being careful to never compromise those
Biblical facts.” Here is an example
of what I mean; the Bible states in Revelation 8: 8-9, “The second angel sounded his trumpet, and
something like a huge mountain, all ablaze, was thrown into the sea. A third of
the sea turned into blood, a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships
were destroyed.” Using my self- proclaimed definition,
I can speculate and write about what God will use to destroy a third of the sea
creatures and ships, but I cannot compromise the Biblical fact that God destroyed
a third of the sea creatures and ships. I might speculate and write that an
asteroid, comet, nuclear weapon, or maybe even a gigantic space ship crashing
to Earth is the culprit but I can’t say a quarter of the sea creatures and ships were eliminated. It
must be one third. Also, it should go without saying that to write good
Christian Science Fiction you need to know Biblical facts and a good way to
know these facts is to read your Bible daily.
I hope you’ll respond to
this post and offer your comments, ideas, and questions. I attached a few of
the websites and blogs I visited during my research. Check them out, after
you’ve read your Bible today.
Thanks for sharing the definition of Christian Science Fiction. I'm not familiar with this genre, and it certainly helps to have an explanation. :)
ReplyDeleteThank you for writing this article.
ReplyDelete